My first night.


I was told to sit in what I learned was the dining room of Psych. I was alone, in my hospital scrubs, and waiting. It felt like forever but I am sure it was only a few minutes before the nurse came to get me to show me to my room. As I sat there and looked around I was watching people play board games, walk the hall on the phone, and some just staring off into space. "What am I doing here with these people" I thought to myself. (Little did I know that by the end of the week "these people" were going to be my saving grace)

I was showed to my room. I was a lucky one, I got a private room. Honestly, I do not know how I would of got through the week if I had to share a room. What was the room like? It was that....a room. I had a bed (the wooden kind like in holding), a blue plastic chair in the corner....and that was it. I had my own bathroom but had to share the shower. (there is a story coming a long with this....)

I was showed the TV room. There were no TV's or anything in the rooms. I was told this was because they did not want us hiding out in our rooms. Part of the process was to talk to others and interact with others. The TV room was also where group was held at least 3 times a day. There were comfy chairs, and also books. As soon as I sat down in the TV room all by myself there was an older lady quick to talk to me and fill me in on some things around the 'ward.

*I am not going to name names, but I made up nick names for people while I sat back and observed....and I did a lot of observing*

"Norma" was a nice lady. She went over the rules they had and some information about the staff and patients. I talked to her a lot. I usually talked to her after dinner and before our last group of the day. 

I had dinner that first night and then went back to my room. It was way in the back in the corner. I liked my room there, well until the next morning....but that story is coming. The last group of the evening was at 7:15 pm. The therapist that ran this group was my game changer. His groups were amazing and made me think. My first group of his, was the one that touched me and I knew that I had made the right decision. What did he say? I will write about that soon. 

After a good cry in group, from the amazing therapist we had snack, then took our night meds and I went to was quiet.....and I knew the next day was going to knock reality in my face. It was also the first night I had away from my husband, kids, and pets. It was going to be a hard night sleep, but I knew I must get through it. I fell asleep.

.....................then I woke up the next the smell of Urine..........

You may also like

1 comment :

  1. Don't skimp on the size, I ordered one size up for the pants (I'm a little curvier on the hip size) and I am GLAD that I did. Love this style of mens scrub pants. I was really surprised at how much I liked this top.


Powered by Blogger.